No. 82, Guosheng Rd, Anping District, Tainan City, Taiwan 708
In 1624, the Dutch built Fort Zeelandia in Anping, the Anping Fort nowadays. It used to be the center of the Dutch regime as well as the pivot of international trades. Originally, it was divided into an inner fort and outer fort. In 1661, after Zheng Chenggong defeated the Dutch, it was renamed Anping. Therefore, For Zeelandia was also called City of King or Taiwan City. Nicknamed Anping Fort, it is the earliest fort in Taiwan.
No. 3, Guangzhou Road, Anping District, Tainan City, Taiwan 708
Eternal Golden Castle
Also known as Anping Major Artillery Fort or Uhrkuenshen Battery, Eternal Golden Castle was the first western artillery fort equipped with Armstrong Cannon in Taiwan completed by French engineers in 1876 built for resisting Japanese Army invading Taiwan due to the Mutan Village Incident. After Shen Baozhen arrived at Anping in 1874, he thought it essential to defend Tainan with artillery forts. Since then, the coast defense force in Taiwan has developed significantly toward modernization. In structure, Eternal Golden Castle is a western bastion style square artillery fort, with four protruding corners and sunken center. Surrounded by moats, the fort is equipped with minor and major artillery while the center is the practice field. It is well structured and magnificent in scale. No wonder Eternal Golden Castle is regarded as an important milestone for the forts in Taiwan.
No. 66號, Section 2, Wenhua Road, Rende District, Tainan City, Taiwan 71755
Founded in 1992 by businessman Xu Wen-long, Chimei Museum was moved to Tainan City Park in January 2015 in a brand new look. Chimei Museum is a genreal musem, collecting exhibits of western art, musical instruments, weapons, and specimen, etc. The Museum is composed of Art Hall, Musical Instrument Hall, Weapon Hall, Animal Hall, Rodin Hall, Sculpture Avenue, and Special Exhibition Hall to display the marvel of civilization and beauty of art. Outside the Museum is a park covered with elements of western mythology. The Museum becomes a place for spiritual relief and appreciation for the general public.
No. 63號, Section 2, Zhongyi Road, West Central District, Tainan City, Taiwan 700018
Hayashi Department Store
On June 30th 2013, the Hayashi Department Store(林百貨), the largest of Tainan's old building's, was opened for tours after refurbishment. the "five story building" (五棧樓仔) built in 1932 during the Japanese Colonial Time. In 2014, its status as a department store was restored, with a great many limited edition Hayashi goods on sale inside. In addition, there are some important points that must not be missed: The elevator's floor indicator is the old style dial type, now probably the only remaining one in Taiwan, which preserves the authentic feel of the place. The Torii shrine on the top floor is also one of a kind,. A hole in a wall from the bombing by US Forces during World War II is a link to the building's past.
No. 212, Section 2, Minzu Road, West Central District, Tainan City, Taiwan 700
Chihkan Tower (赤嵌樓) is the oldest building in Tainan's West Central District (台南中西區), and along with Anping District's Anping Fort (安平古堡), are two of Tainan's most famous landmarks. Originally built as Fort Provintia (普羅民遮城) in 1652 by the Dutch, the building set the tone as the location of the administrative center of Tainan, and has gone through numerous repairs and refurbishments over the past 300 years to give it its current appearance. Inside are Haisheng Temple (海神廟), Wengchang Pavilion (文昌閣) and Penghu College (蓬壺書院), and on the lawn outside stands a statue of Koxinga (國姓爺鄭成功) accepting the surrender of the Dutch. The most eye-catching things are the 9 imperial plinths at the south gate carried by the turtle-shaped stone Bixi (贔屭). The Bixi, said to be one of the nine sons of the Dragon King, and fond of carrying heavy objects, have added a great deal to the folklore legends of Chihkan Tower, which are still told today.